Thursday, October 05, 2006

Progress on the AL metamodel

The notes posted here have been a great help in getting the model started. I've made a lot of progress in the last few days. For now I am focusing on specification (non-runtime) information. Three specification subsystems are emerging - Action Blocks, Actions and Flow. Action Blocks is very small - it just captures the relationship among Operations, States and Services with Action Blocks and Parameters. Actions specializes what I've been calling "processes" into subclassifications. The action subclasses are then related to metamodel components like Class, Attribute, Event etc. For example, the Transmitter Action must specify an Event. By the way, I'm renaming "Transmitter" to Broadcaster to match the UML action semantics vocabulary. I keep referring to the UML terminology as much as possible. Finally, the Flow subsystem captures the graph nature of interconnected Actions. It consists of classes like Flow Type, Node Type, Pin, Process, Store and so forth.

Naturally, I will post my models once I have a reviewable baseline.

No comments: